We are looking for someone who is ready to help us solve hard and exciting analytical problems as simply as possible.
You will have the resource and capability to use equipment and methods that are unimaginable elsewhere. You will have a substantial sense of urgency around your work, doing whatever it takes to move at a speed commensurate with the time-sensitive nature of plastic pollution and climate change, and importantly, move faster than our competitors. Success here is building the solution to some of humanity’s greatest challenges, without delay.
As an assay scientist at Epoch you will:
● Use high throughput screens for identification of improved mutants
● Continue optimisation of current methods and workflows as well as the development of new/novel assays as processes demand
● Use high-end automation and integrated workflows
● Work together with other members of the Enzyme Engineering team as well as other R&D teams including computational biologists, strain engineers and process engineers
● Help to build-out new experimental facilities in the laboratory to enable rapid generation and testing of enzymes
Essential qualifications and experience
● PhD in chemistry or biochemistry
● Experience in recombinant protein expression and purification.
● Practical experience in carrying out enzyme assays
● Understanding of enzyme mechanisms
● Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team, working across multiple projects/experiments simultaneously.
Cherries on top
● Practical knowledge of enzymology and assay techniques.
● A minimum of 1 year relevant industry experience.
● Experience of performing and developing high throughput enzyme activity assays.
● Experience working with multiple host organisms such as Gram +/-ve bacteria and yeast.
● Experience of assay techniques such as mass spectrometry, flow cytometry or high throughput plate-based assays.
● Experience of high yield protein production and secretion systems.
● Experience in biotechnology and fermentation.
● Experience developing automation scripts/workflows.
● Experience of in silico modelling.
● Experience of handling and analysing very large datasets generated by high throughput assays.
We encourage you to apply; even if you don’t tick every bullet point.
The essential criteria above lists the very specific requirements we need at Epoch for this role to be successful.
The ‘cherries on top’, however, are welcome additions. We outline our roles by indicating the main responsibilities and the skills, knowledge and experience required. It is not intended to be a complete detailed account of all activities/responsibilities involved.
Epoch is developing as a business; roles need to be flexible, and we are flexible too, except on the essential criteria.