As a Synthetic Biologist you will use your experience of molecular biology, pathway engineering and genome editing to generate microbial strains with improved characteristics, such as a high enzyme or metabolite yield. These characteristics are in part determined by the commercial, enzyme engineering and process development teams so that commercially viable and scalable enzymatic bioprocesses can be developed. You will use cutting edge techniques and state-of-the-art equipment in order to generate improved host chassis in a minimal timeframe. You will be involved in activities such as:
- Generation of strains with improved characteristics. QC via sequencing or other complementary techniques.
- Generation of novel intellectual property.
- Continual optimisation of genome/pathway engineering methods and workflows.
- Use and development of high throughput screens for identification of improved host organisms.
- Transfer of manual processes to high-end automation platforms and integrated workflows where needed.
- Work together with enzyme engineers as well as other R&D teams, including computational biologists and process engineers.
- Help to build-out new experimental facilities in the laboratory to enable rapid generation and testing of enzymes and hosts.
We would like to hear from you if you have:
- Strong technical background in molecular biology.
- PhD in synthetic biology, metabolic engineering, or similar field.
- Min. 3 years relevant industry/academic experience.
- Practical knowledge of genome editing techniques such as CRISPR/Cas, Lambda Red, etc.
- Previous successful improvement of either a secondary metabolite or target protein yield.
- Experience working with multiple host organisms such as Gram +/-ve bacteria and yeast.
- Experience of relevant bioinformatics techniques required to identify the target genes/pathways for strain improvement.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, working across multiple projects/experiments simultaneously.
Cherries on the cake would be:
- Demonstrated background in biochemistry and enzyme catalysis.
- Experience of high yield protein production and secretion systems.
- Experience in biotechnology and fermentation.
- Experience developing automation scripts/workflows.
- Experience of in silico pathway modelling.
- Experience of high-volume sequence data analysis, genome annotation or similar bioinformatic skills.